Monday, February 13, 2023

Thanks to everyone at Superstars 2023

 I go to two writers' conferences in Colorado Springs each year if I can.  One is the Pikes Peak Writers Conference, a large and friendly gathering hosted by the Pikes Peak Writers Club and devoted to all aspects of writing. It's the one I suggest newcomers to writing might find most comfortable. Join us for April!

Pikes Peak Writers Conference

But there's nothing uncomfortable about Superstars, a conference that leans more toward business skills for writers but also has plenty of craft work.  There's also a lot of overlap between the instructors and the crowds at the two events. 

Superstars Writing Seminars | Teaching you the business of being a writer

Superstars features some extremely successful authors and agents like Jonathan Maberry and Jim Butcher on the author side.  It's a pretty intense three days (four if you take the extra workshop day) and offers the genuine camaraderie of what alumni call "the Tribe." 

I was able to attend two days this year at the Antlers Hotel in downtown Colorado.  The hosts, instructors, leaders, and volunteers (I did some airport driving) put together the largest and most successful event ever. 

I did one pitch to an agent, which resulted in some good advice although not an offer, and one "walking pitch" to the editor of a small press, who wanted to see my new book manuscript. I did a lot of talking and meeting people and trading advice. A few people even remembered that the last time I'd come to the social hour dressed as Harry Dresden. Maybe next year! 

Jonathan Maberry leads a panel on Saturday (either on the publishing industry or on short stories: I didn't record it at the time!)

 


No comments: