Monday, November 13, 2023

Newly Acquired Dunkleosteus Fossils!

I have two new Dunkleosteus fossils in my personal collection. It's immensely satisfying, and I thought the journey involved would be of interest to readers. 

First, the fossils. I now have a 5-cm maxillary fang tip, with the very tip broken off but still lethal after 380MY, and a lovely, professionally prepped posterior dorsolateral bone.



Photos Yinan Wang, 2023

As a science writer who’s done one article on the species (Prehistoric Times, Summer 2018) and created the Dunkleosteus terrelli Facebook page,  I of course have always wanted to own a piece of the real thing,  

 (BONUS: my posted interview with Engelman on the latest Dunk theories) 

 got three Dunk fossil pieces, two bits of armor and a chunk of supraorbital bone, off eBay about 2014. They’d come from an Ohio garage sale. There were faded specimen numbers on their plastic bags. I sent photos and numbers to “Dunk Central,” the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, asking if they were anything important and saying I’d donate them if they were. They were not.  I’m guessing they were collected on some dig, judged unnecessary, and someone was allowed to take them home. Maybe they were given to a volunteer. In any event, I felt ok keeping them after learning they had no scientific value. 

One of my older Dunk fossils with skull in Denver Museum of Nature and Science. 

I wanted some pieces from other areas of the skull: not as a part of a study approach, but to feel like I had a more complete connection to the animal.  I was working hard on a Dunk novel that would take the standard rediscovered-predator thriller premise and elevate it with a focus on human drama vs. blood, and one backed by thorough and accurate research.  This became Apex Predator, which I’ve been shopping in current form for several years now.  I often took bone bits to meetings with agents. 

After the quick eBay find,  I assumed it would be fairly easy to find more. Instead, I learned that even the major fossil houses rarely offer anything, and when they do it’s beyond what a middle-class science writer can pay out.  I’d love a $3,500 jawbone, but if I showed my wife the bill, you can guess what the next extinct species would be. There are also many reports of fake Dunkleosteus fossils, and some beautiful fossils from places like some areas of Morocco are tainted by reports of dubiously legal collecting,  



I didn’t obsess over it, but I kept an eye out. I posted on Facebook and other social media that I was looking. I kept checking online fossils sales merchants, and contacted the ones that didn’t detail their wares online. I created an eBay alert. I asked paleontologists and writers.  I asked dealers at fossil shows that came through Denver. (It was at one of these a dealer claimed he’d seen an impression fossil of a small juvenile Dunk but had not been able to afford it.  I’ve never found anyone else who recalls seeing such a thing, so I assume it must have been a fake or a misidentification of a smaller placoderm.)

It was the personal contact approach that paid off after almost a decade. I’d chatted on X with Yinan Wang, “The Fossil Locator,”  author of books on state fossils and so on.  I was asking him to take a glance at the current Apex Predator draft, which he offered to do.  I mentioned in passing that I was looking for more fossils. It turned out he was, in fact, willing to part with two items from his own collection.

He wrote, "They're both from the Cleveland Shale and collected around the Cleveland region. I don't know the name of the collector but they were in an estate auction back in 2018. Gray Estates LLC." So the exact trail is unknown, but Wang owned them legally.

So I have them now. And I do feel more connected as I run my hands over them.  Fossils are the closest thing we can get to time traveling. They take us back. 


 Matt Bille is a writer, historian, and naturalist living in Colorado Springs. He can be reached at mattsciwriter@protonmail.com. Website: www.mattbilleauthor.com.

Read Matt's Latest book, Of Books and Beasts: A Cryptozoologist's Library. This unique reference offers a friendly skeptic's 400 reviews of books on cryptozoology, zoology, related sciences, and cryptozoological fiction. Your search for the world's new and undiscovered animals begins here!


No comments: