Saturday, April 13, 2013

Note on Illustrations in This Blog

A rare administrative note: I like well-illustrated sources.  I don't use as many illustrations in this blog as I'd like to, though.  I'm not criticizing anyone else's approach, but I'm a writer, and I don't like my copyrighted material used without permission, so I extend the same courtesy to artists and photographers.  I wrote on this subject for the National Association of Science Writers and also researched and taught it in my "day job" consulting firm classes. So I avoid illustrations from private websites or commercial media sources unless I have permission or know they are not copyrighted, and I read "Fair Use" narrowly since this blog does serve the commercial purpose of promoting my books along with being educational.  These folks at Copyright Clearance Center are the experts.

No comments: