Latest Carribean crustacean
Bring on the fresh crab - with reggae music. OK, not a crab, but a crustacean, albeit a tiny parasitic one. Its namesake: Reggae legend Bob Marley. Scientific name: Gnathia marleyi.
Scientists have to get creative in name species: we now have way more species than we have Greek or Latin words to apply to. So we have:
- A lichen named for President Obama
- A frog named for Prince Charles (frog, prince, get it?)
- Not one but two insects named for Steve Colbert
- A trilobite (ancient, get it?) named for Mick Jagger
- and a fly named for Beyonce.
If we ever find the Loch Ness monster, maybe we'll name it for longtime monster hunter Tim Dinsdale - or maybe for Vladimir Lenin (a dinosaur, get it?)